Visit the last master of marine byssus, or sea silk
In Jules Verne’s novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the ship’s crew wear clothes made of byssus (“sea-shell fabric”). Kings and Priests throughout history have worn this cloth. Experience the magic of a tradition lost in time and unique in the world.
Welcome to the island of Sant’Antioco and it’s homonymous Town, which is also the oldest city of Italy.
As we take you there you’ll enjoy the unique panoramic points of the south-west coast and we introduce you to the ‘Queen of the south’.
What we are going to visit:
- Costa del Sud, south west coast
- Chia, Tueredda, Malfatano, Porto Pino
- Sant’Antioco peninsula
- Visit the last master of marine byssus
- The Basilica 500 AC (catacombs)
- Fragrances of the vegetation
- The Queen of the south
- Pick up is at 9:00-9:30 am
- At the Port or your accommodation
- Duration 6-7 hours
- Comfortable dress and sturdy shoes
Admission to Chiara Vigo is free. You can make a donation if you want. The ticket for the catacombs costs 3 € / person and is to pay extra.